Monday, February 06, 2006

God Is Love by Pope Benedict XVI

I read about the Pope's encyclical in the Economist. It sounded interesting so I decided to read the real thing.

Deus Caritas Est (in English: God is Love) is the first encyclical written by Pope Benedict XVI. It was promulgated at 11:00 UTC on 25 January 2006 in Latin and in translations into seven other languages (English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish). The encyclical contains almost 16,000 words in 42 paragraphs over 70 pages, and reflects on the concepts of eros (possessive, often sexual, love), agape (unconditional, self-sacrificing love), logos (the word), and their relationship with the teachings of Jesus. It is the first encyclical to be published since the Vatican decided to assert copyright in the official writings of the Pope.

Encyclical Letter of the Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI to the Bishops, Priests, and Deacons, men and women religious, and all the lay faithful on Christian love

God Is Love

Part I: The Unit of Love in Creation and in Salvation History

A problem of language
Eros and Agape - difference and unity
The newness of biblical faith
Jesus Christ - the incarnate love of God
Love of God and love of neighbor

Part II: The Practice of Love by the Church as a Community of Love

The Church's charitable activity as a manifestation of Trinitarian love
Charity as a responsibility of the Church
Justice and charity
The multiple structures of charitable service in the social context of the present day
The distinctiveness of the Church's charitable activityThose responsible for the Church's charitable activity

2 comments:

klink said...

Ah yes, the three greek words for love. And as the pastor said in my marriage class- you need a nice balance of all 3 for the successful relationship. Me- I prefer to load on the eros. Sweet, sweet eros.

klink said...

In other news- The vikings currently have 25/1 odds to take Super Bowl XLI. The Colts and Pats are leading with 4/1 odds, while the Steelers are only 6/1 to repeat. I suppose that is because the odds are even worse to get the same officiating crew. The jets, Titans, and 49ers are all 100/1 right now. If you're drunk and in Vegas, waste your $20 on those guys. If I were to pick a longshot, I'd go with Jacksonville at 22/1.