Last night Marye and I went to Kagin Commons at Macalester College for a Family Tree Clinic fundraiser. Actually, I went for the tax-deductible beer; the forty dollar ticket price granted me a commemorative tasting glass and the opportunity to drink responsibly by drinking local beer. There were 13 local breweries and brew pubs. I'll walk you counterclockwise through Kagin, mentioning the brewer and the beer I sampled.
Finnegans Irish Amber: from Summit, brewed with potatoes
Lake Superior 7 Bridges brown ale: Duluth
Great Waters Apocalypse: American strong ale
Rock Bottom Cinco de Maibock
Bandana Sleepy Eye Schwarzbier: Mankato
Summit: they didn't have the Scandia and I've drank the rest
Bell's Cherry Stout: Kalamazoo, Michigan (is that local)
Barley John's Wild Brunette: brown ale, brewed with wild rice, somewhere near Roseville
Fitger's Brewhouse: 1) El Diablo: Belgian golden ale 2) Ted Koppelbock: maibock with honey
Schell Maifest: New Ulm
Rush River Small Axe: hefeweizen, Maiden Rock WI
Town Hall: 1) Foolish quadrupel: damn 2) Spring: maple syrup and chamomille tastes
Surly (brewed in Brooklyn Center by Mac grads): 1) Furious: hoppy, amber ale? 2) Bender: porter/brown ale/oatmeal
There you have it. Good times.
Friday, May 05, 2006
Beer, Glorious Beer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Of all the weeks to be gone to Mexico. Oh well, I was also sampling local brews, although the local brew was Dos Equis. It flowed freely from the taps (both clara and oscura) at my resort. Not everyone in my party could palate the fine Mexican lager. Here's what Jeff Foxworthy might have to say about the trip:
If you are staying at an all-inclusive resort and you take a shuttle to the nearest city so that you can spend $25 on a case of Bud light cans, you might be from South Dakota.
If the reason you took the shuttle to the city was because you ran out of the Lord Calvert you brought along, you might be from South Dakota.
If you use your disposable camera to take pictures of topless, 40 year old german women on the beach- you might be from South Dakota.
It was a fun week.
Post a Comment