Monday, January 15, 2007

Resolutions

The new year is an opportunity to share with others the directions I am going. Here are a few areas of knowledge I have been pursuing and will continue to pursue:

1. PHP and MySQL Web Development
PHP is a free programming language and MySQL is a free database. I've already learned a little HTML and I've learned a little about CSS. I need to learn how PHP and MySQL communicate with each other. I know enough about databases that MySQL will be easy, but the PHP learning curve will be steeper. I want to create an e-commerce site and I want to create a few applications for things I do at work.

2. Chemistry
I like textbooks. And observing life in relation to elemental properties provides a great deal of fascination and satisfaction to me.

3. Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
At some point in the future I hope to become a chum, not for the initials at the end of my name but because I think the base of knowledge necessary for the distinction will benefit me in my work duties.

4. Feynman Lectures on Physics
Who doesn't want to know more about physics, especially electricity and heat.

5. Dutch
This resolution is very susceptible to failure. While I have good intentions, my guess is that my proficiency will remain only with formalities, food, and beer.

6. Economist
This weekly magazine is my commuting literature. Good stuff. I think I will be a subscriber for life.

7. Books
I want to read a few more books than last year. I just finished reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I also finished Nostromo by Joseph Conrad.

No comments: