Monday, April 18, 2005

And

In other news, Sylvester Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard will be hosting a show designed to pick the next pope.

I forgot to mention to non-MN peoples that a casino has been proposed for the Mall of America.

Democracy prevailed as Amy Blenker won election to represent Ward 1 on the Rochester City Council.

2 comments:

klink said...

A few items pertaining to Democracy:

Point #1: MILF
Point #2: Grad students at the U of M will not be unionized.

I will not expand on point #1, but I will comment on #2. For those of you not in the know, there was a vote last week by graduate students at the U of M (specifally TA's and RA's) to throw our lots into the same hat and have all of our base salaries, health care, and vacation decided by collective bargaining. You could also call it an attempt to give the administration and the legislature the middle finger and demand better (insert cause here). If you feel underappreciated, this is probably a good idea. However, if you sit near the top of the U of M RA/TA pay scale, and you produce research that is attractive to external funding, you feel that you are compensated fairly, and you don't give two shits about the underappreciated, you probably voted against the union. But there are numerous other reasons to vote against grad student unionization, I've only mentioned a few. Anyway, democracy always prevails, with over 58% of voters saying no. that's quite a mandate.

In a way, I feel like a values voter, and now I'm a little confused. Was I convinced by the propaganda? Did I really formulate my own opinions? Or was I just duped into thinking that anti-unionization groups had my best interest at heart.....either way, my 8% pay increases for the next 2 years can't be screwed up by collective bargaining, so I'm pretty happy.

klink said...

In Husker News:

Joe Dailey will leave the team. This is only somewhat surprising. The writing was on the wall in terms of the starting QB position, but I'm not so sure that JD wouldn't have quickly found himself the go-to guy in an injury situation as he will be the only QB entering next year to have played real minutes. Perhaps he will change his mind. If not, I wish him the best of luck when he transfers.