I toured the capitol and the state office building today. I have never been inside the capitol before, although I've ran up and down the stairs outside hundreds of times while punching the air. Marble is nice. I saw the portraits of past governors, so many women. Actually, none. At this time I would like to point out that when Kay Orr was elected governor of Nebraska in 1987, she was the first Republican woman to be elected governor in any state and the first woman to run against another woman for a gubernatorial post. Anyway, I met one of our lobbyists. I also saw the eminent Andrea Sternberg and her vault of an office. I picked up a trusty green book with information about every congressperson.
word of the day
clinker: 1) a brick that has been burned too much in the kiln 2) stony matter fused together: slag
used in a sentence
"Ben, you look like you've been working out. I dare say you're made out of clinker. You're built like a god damn brick shithouse."
Andy, do you remember the 1600 and 3200 record times of the Walter Johnson standout?
When I was a senior in 1997, I witnessed the breaking of the 400, 800, 1600, and 4x800 state records. Kearney had their distance studs step down into the 800 to put together a 7:45. The 400 record still stands at 47.25. After 1997, the 800 and 1600 records were broken by Brian Turner, who was a freshman when I was a senior. He still holds the 800 record at 1:50.82. The 3200 record was lowered to 9:06 by Dana Carne (Asada). Last year, Colby Wissel from Kearney ran a 4:10 and 8:55, setting state records in each event. I believe Kearney has won the state championship every year since I was a fifteen-year-old freshman.
In other news, I picked up The Jungle again. Jurgis is having a tough time.
3 comments:
I must say that I very much enjoy that usage of the word. In my travels to australia, I discovered that they had a candy called "Clinkers". I never actually tried them.
The official SoDak record is 1:53.51, by Troy Weiland. He actually ran faster between his Jr. and Sr. years at some AAU meet, I believe sub-1:52, but that didn't count. Anyway, he went on to run at Iowa State, but not much faster really. Of more intersting note is the state Class B 300 hurdles record- which is allowed to be some lame-ass hand held time from 1985. Seriously, hand-held times should not be allowed for that short of a race! The true record (circa 1997) should belong to someone else!!!
Oh, and the 1600 M record in Sodak is 4:09.8 by Rod DeHaven....you may have heard of him. 3200 is 9:12.53.
Oh, and the 1600 M record in Sodak is 4:09.8 by Rod DeHaven....you may have heard of him. 3200 is 9:12.53.
Post a Comment