Friday, June 03, 2005

this beef tastes like fumigant

The EPA is proposing to add the Garvey Elevator Site in Hastings, Nebraska, to the National Priorities List, or NPL. The NPL is a published list of hazardous waste sites that are eligible for clean-up action under the Superfund Program. Grain has been stored and processed at the Garvey Elevator since 1959. Carbon tetrachloride, a common grain fumigant, was used at the facility until the mid-1980s. Past releases of carbon tetrachloride from the facility have contaminated ground water near the facility. That ground water is used as a source of drinking water.

References:
Fact Sheet for Garvey Elevator
NPL Site Narrative for Garvey Elevator

My Dad hauls corn to Garvey.
I have a red Garvey hat.

Fumigant on corn.
Corn in cow.
Cow in human.

I advocate grass-fed buffalo, or Kobe beef if you can afford it.

4 comments:

klink said...

Carbon tet (as it's known in the business) is overrated, much like benzene. As far as I know, it does not bioaccumulate, and you'd need to down about 150 grams of the stuff (about 5 shots worth) for it to be lethal. Sure, it can cause nervous system problems, skin problems, and is a probable carcinogen (yeah, only probable). And all that is with extended exposures. If I were breathing the fumes at the elevator for extended periods, i'd be pretty pissed, but otherwise it's not an issue.

klink said...

Also, I much prefer this site for content on husker football.

the big skinny said...

The headline "this beef tastes like fumigant" was my local news lure. Then I alarmed you with the fumigant-to-corn-to-beef implication. But don't worry, I said those things to boost readership. In a way, it worked. I received hate mail for casting aspersion on corn-fed beef. I was just kidding Dad. Have a good weekend everybody, and eat corn-fed beef.

klink said...

I might also add that I very much like corn-fed women.