Tuesday, February 01, 2005

shu

So I went to Shu on Grand Avenue to buy a new pair of shoes because my feet are growing. Seriously, my shoes don’t fit any more. The young woman asked me what size shoe I wear. I said I usually wear a 10.5 or 11.0 but I needed something longer. I tried on a comfortable pair of black Ecco dress shoes. Nice. Let the feet be happy. I told her the shoes felt good, and it was crazy my feet were growing, maybe it’s because I’ve gained a lot of weight and my feet are spreading out. “Well, you don’t look like you’ve gained weight.” At this point, Marye started laughing uncontrollably, perhaps because of the irony, since I do weigh the most I’ve ever weighed in my life. Prompted by Marye’s laughter and my look of bewilderment (picture furrowed brow and lips shaped as if to whistle), the young woman offered an apology, and said it’s not a bad thing. I'm exotic.

2 comments:

klink said...

Your first sign of weight gain should have been the enormous cankles you are developing. That is causing your feet to spread to support the load.

klink said...

Today is national letter of intent day for college football. All of NU's recruits signed the dotted line, no last minute defections (happens very often with a lot of teams). the huskers ended up losing out on the all-star safety, he picked mobilhoma. Oh well, at least he didn't go somewhere in the big 12 north where we'd see him every year. Plus, going to the sooners means he'll have to wait a few years before being an all-american.....but on a plus side, we did grab the stud defensive end we were after. you can't feel bad about not getting two cherries on top of your sundae.

are we getting together to watch the state of the union address tonight? I'll be wearing red. I'm pretty excited to hear about how we're doing.....maybe we'll get a surprise announcement of our next invasion.